Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:00:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Hung" Virtual terminal in -stable.  Doesn't respond to "kill -KILL".

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Doug White wrote:

> > USER       PID  PPID  PGID   SESS JOBC STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
> > root     18274     1 18274 7aace0    0 I<Es+  v0-   0:00.00  (login)
> >

> That would imply a problem with vty0 (the default console). Does that
> console appear to work okay?  Are you running xdm or something else on
> that console?
>
> login is probably jammed on tty output.

root@kott [/dev]> ls /dev/vty0
ls: /dev/vty0: No such file or directory

*chuckle*  That *may* have something to do with it.

I'll MAKEDEV it.. and see if it clears up the problem.  Difficult to tell
if this was the root of the problem, as those lockups were sporadic at
best.  I have only high hopes though.

Thanks for the advice Doug. :-)

								-d