Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:03:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tidying up the interrupt registration process

> > The INTR_TYPE_TTY interrupts, except fast ones, are masked as a unit.
> > Likewise with the INTR_TYPE_NET, etc.  The intent here is to provide
> > assistance in serialization of access to crititical structures.  When
> > you do a splnet, all the net devices who have an interrupt have their
> > interrupt blocked.
>
> Right, that's the current way things are done.  This will change too,
> to be replaced by relative scheduling priorities.  That's the more
> interesting question: how should they relate to each other?

As a general rule, they shouldn't.  Don't get carried away with something
relatively trivial like which interrupts should have "more" scheduling
priority - just get them being scheduled at all for now. 8)

> That's what I thought.  Does anybody else see a reason to convert fast
> interrupts into threads?

No.  Or more specifically, we need a mechanism for "classic-style"
low-latency interrupt handlers.  These will typically be coupled with a
software-interrupt thread, more or less as they are now.

> I can't see anything inherent in the treatment of fast interrupts
> which says they can't be shared.  I'll take another look at the code;
> maybe we can get rid of this restriction.

Sharing a 'fast' interrupt completely defeats the point of making it
'fast'.  You should not be able to register a 'fast' handler on any
source with anything else attached, nor anything else on a source that
has a 'fast' handler already registered.  Yes, this does impose some
configuration constraints on the system, but there are few viable
alternatives.