Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 15:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cdlevin@dialisdn.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can saver modules lock the machine ?

Hi, I am pretty new to freeBSD, but have an interesting
question or two. Firstly, I have apps that must run 24/7,
even when I'm not around. I'd like to be able to secure
these apps, but running an ordinary lock program isn't
really feasible. BSD has some wonderful screen savers
that come up at intervals set by the install program.
I was wondering, since they are controlled by modules,
if it would be possible to have one of these modules,
or possibly all, have a feature enabling a lock function
for all vtys. In other words, after x amount of inactivity,
cause the computer to enable the saver, and lock the computer so that a key
press of any type will give a password prompt instead of
simply allowing a user, or anyone else for that matter,
to reaccess the system. I was also looking at console.h
in the kernel source, and it might be possible to do
something of this sort from there, although the modules
do offer more flexibility.

BTW - are there any plans for a VGA_100x37 terminal ?
It's a nice mode, and works well with most VGA cards,
without any special timings, etc. Ok, thanx for reading
this, and we'll ttyl.

Curtis D. Levin
cdlevin@dialisdn.com