Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 11:22:58 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple copies - was Re: rc script seems to be broken for nfs

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 14:20 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> Dinesh Nair wrote:
> >
> > is it only me, or has freebsd-stable been receiving multiple
> > copies of this same message over and over again ?
>
> It may be that people mail it multiple times.  [ ... reply and
> reply-all aka group-reply functionality ... ]  People like me
> are often too lazy to edit the list of recipients of the email.

Well, rumours say there's a great function called list-reply
replying to the list _only_ -- but it's just too good an idea to
be supported by the main stream MUAs ... :(

> One way to resolve this could be to change the majordomo
> settings of the freebsd mailing lists so that the "Reply-To"
> field is set to e.g. freebsd-stable.

NOOOOOO!  Please don't!

Sorry, but having suffered from this braindead "solution" before
I will always argue against it and don't even want to hear people
honestly suggest this.  See
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for the reasons
why this is simply wrong.

> One disadvantage of this approach is that it is then not so
> easy to reply only to the individual who sends the email.

It's not just a disadvantage.  It doesn't only prevent you from
answering easily, often it even prevents you from answering at
all.  Plus it violates POLA.  Considering Reply-To munging a
solution can only stem from not understanding what the field is
about.  It's owned by the originator and nobody merely
transporting messages should even think about fumbling with it!

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net