Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mobile Computer <mobile@vta.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: PCMCIA 16550A (USB .. Hmmm. )

Wed Dec 13 13:21:46 EST 2000

>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:16:09 +1030 (CST)
>
>On 12-Dec-00 Mobile Computer wrote:
>>  FYI, the simple goal is  to create a passive serial line monitor
>
>Another possibility is a USB serial dongle.. You'd need a laptop with USB
> and have to be running 4.x though.

Hmm, the  USB  solution  might  be  worth  considering ....... another
(previously unmentioned) aspect of this torturous  exercise  is  that,
once I confirm that I have a usable PCMCIA serial  card,  I change the
UART  crystal  to  a  frequency  that  allows  me to fool the card into
running at a specific much higher speed.  (  The Big Metal  Thing  They
Pay Me To Fix runs at this higher speed. ) I have  proven  the  concept
already with some  ( certainly  un-committable )  ghastly  multiplier
mangling in  sioreg.h and sio.c at various times,  with an ISA multiport
serial card..  Now if I could get it all into less space ...

Certainly the USB devices I have just looked at are easily capable of the
speed range I need ( 614.4K ) but unless this reference page is out of
date

/* project status of the FreeBSD USB project */

http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb

support for the kind of devices I would need  (multiport serial adapters ,
serial dongles) is not quite there yet? ( Judging by the folks working
on it, it will be bullet-proof when it's done, I'm willing to wait..)

Until then, I better stick close to the sio driver, I like familiar stuff
when I know I'm likely to unravel something. :)

Excellent suggestion for a long term plan though, Thanks.

Guy Boyd

reply to: mobile@vta.com

VTA Inc. / VTA Technologies
Atlanta, Georgia