Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:34:50 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The whole libc thing.

In message <20010215101817.G3274@fw.wintelcom.net> Alfred Perlstein writes:
: * Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> [010215 10:15] wrote:
: > On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
: > > In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.1010215091552.2023A@pcnet1.pcnet.com> Daniel Eischen writes:
: > > : Let's just bump the libraries and be done with it.
: > >
: > > That's *ALL* the libraries, even in ports?
: >
: > Hmm, perhaps not then.  It would be nice to get rid of __sF; if we
: > don't do it now, will we ever?
:
: I still think that no matter how painful we should just loose __sF
: in -current, afaik the only thing depending on it is the std*
: macros.

Yes.  That's the "only" thing.  But *EVERYTHING* depends on those
macros.  Just about every single library has at least one
fprintf(stderr, "Something bad happened"); in it.  We have to be smart
about how we transition away from __sF.  If we aren't, we badly break
binary compatibility.

We all want to get rid of it, but the way Peter did it is *WRONG* and
we need to retrench and do it *RIGHT*.  OK?

Warner