Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:07:05 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Yue Chen <ychen.contact@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Situations about PC values in kernel data segments

On Friday, April 17, 2015 04:19:54 PM Yue Chen wrote:
> I mean, the PC values in non-.text segments like .data, .rodata, stack,
> heap, etc. Usually this is for comparison purposes. E.g., compare the
> faulting PC against some range already stored in a table/handler.
>
> > When pcb_onfault is used it is set to point to code in a .text segment,
> not anywhere else.
>
> The pointer value stored in non-.text segments is a PC value (instruction
> address in .text), like 0xffffffff12345678, and may not be a function entry
> point address, right?

I think I do not follow your question.

Are you asking if you can figure out if a given PC value used as the value
of $rip for an arbitrary instruction is valid, or are you trying to enumerate
all the words in memory that hold a pointer to a .text value (like
pcb_onfault)?

I assumed the former.  AFAIK, the kernel is not going to execute any code
from .data, .rodata, or the stack.  For things like pcb_onfault, the value
stored is in .text, like this:

ENTRY(copyout)
        PUSH_FRAME_POINTER
        movq    PCPU(CURPCB),%rax
        movq    $copyout_fault,PCB_ONFAULT(%rax)
        testq   %rdx,%rdx                       /* anything to do? */
        jz      done_copyout
done_copyout:
        xorl    %eax,%eax
        movq    PCPU(CURPCB),%rdx
        movq    %rax,PCB_ONFAULT(%rdx)
        POP_FRAME_POINTER
        ret

        ALIGN_TEXT
copyout_fault:
        movq    PCPU(CURPCB),%rdx
        movq    $0,PCB_ONFAULT(%rdx)
        movq    $EFAULT,%rax
        POP_FRAME_POINTER
        ret
END(copyout)

Here 'copyout_fault' is in .text, not in a different section.

--
John Baldwin