Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:41:44 -0300 (EST)
From:      Eduardo Souza Machado da Silva <esms@lcmi.ufsc.br>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        scanner@jurai.net, Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Chris Byrnes wrote:

> > Do *NOT* block ICMP point blank at ALL. If you need to filter certain
> > type's and code's, fine. But NEVER slap an embargo on the entire ICMP
> > protocol. The mentality to do this blows me away every time I hear it
> > uttered from people.
>
> Why?  If you have idiots running ping -f yourserver.com from 150 ISPs
> around the world, you're going to want to filter ICMP.  That's what I did
> awhile back.
>
> And I haven't found a valid reason to re-enable it.

you should read RFC1122 "Requirements for Internet hosts - communication
layers". R.T.  Braden.  Oct-01-1989 (Also STD0003)  (Status: STANDARD):

              ICMP is a control protocol that is considered to be an
              integral part of IP, although it is architecturally
              layered upon IP, i.e., it uses IP to carry its data end-
              to-end just as a transport protocol like TCP or UDP does.
              ICMP provides error reporting, congestion reporting, and
              first-hop gateway redirection.

and also RFC1191, "Path MTU discovery". J.C. Mogul, S.E.  Deering.
Nov-01-1990. (Status: DRAFT STANDARD)

esms