Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Kenneth Legg <sce04020@mail.wvnet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modems

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Kenneth Legg wrote:

> I read in a linux how-to that win modems will not work with unix system,

This is true, WinModems are just that, Win modems.  So as to give
you a heads up modems are showing up that do not explicitly define
themselves as such (ie. Diamond SupraMax).  I have even come across
them being referred to as soft modems.

> is this true? I have a 33.6 us robotics win modem, if this modem will
> not work what modem should I buy and where can I find information on
> installing it? Can I use the linux how-to doc on modem installation for

Suggestion, go with an external modem if you have the available connector
and at least a 16550 UART.  If not Diamond Supra's, and USRobotic's have
proven to be the most reliable from my experience, especially when it
comes to V.90 support.

Pop it in and if it is plug and play you will have to make sure that
you have pnp support built into your kernel.

controller      pnp0

And that you have the correct port and IRQ for the modem specified.
(This you can probably retrieve from the "Device Manager" in Windows)

device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 3 vector siointr

> Freebsd. Does freebsd use drivers for modems and other cards like
> windows does? Any help is appreciated.

Refer to the handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/ or if installed in
/usr/share/doc/handbook/, and the ppp tutorial.

The user ppp is quite simple to set up using those documentations.

Regards,
Kevin G. Eliuk
Discover Rock Solid, Discover FreeBSD | http://www.FreeBSD.Org