Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:24:24 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more strange problem with broken pipes and ssh

In message <4.2.2.20010304003949.01cfdf40@marble.sentex.net>, Mike
Tancsa write
s:
> At 09:31 PM 3/3/2001 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> >In message <15009.52817.869675.390701@nomad.yogotech.com>, Nate
> >Williams writes
> >:
> .
> > running?

> > you

> > example, I on
> > > ly

> > > I am certainly getting the error with stock csh (really tcsh).
> >
> >I don't think it's the shell.  To verify my results try changing your
> >login shells (e.g. vipw, log out, log in, test, vipw, log out, ...)
> >just like I did.  All this guessing will get us nowhere until more
> >actual testing is done.
> >
> >Could it be an sshd config option?
>

> The last time this came up a month ago, you mentioned your environment
> being a bit different with Kerberos. Perhaps with kerberos enabled, this
> problem is not there ?

Kerberos has not been built into the base FreeBSD of any FreeBSD system
I manage (at home or work), so OpenSSH does not have any of its
Kerberos bits turned on (as verified by ldd).  MIT Kerberos has been
installed from ports (this matches what Open Systems has on the
approximately 150 hosts we manage of which FreeBSD is only 5 of the
150) it will not enable Kerberos in the base OpenSSH unless Heimdal
Kerberos has been enabled in the base system.

As I'm going to get flamed for not using Heimdal Kerberos and using MIT
Kerberos, it on my long list of things to do (investigate first), and
it's not near the top of the list either.

Back to the SSH topic at hand:  Kerberos is not a factor in OpenSSH on
the systems I tested.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC