Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:24:34 +0900
From:      Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using scanner with FreeBSD. A nightmare!

Christian Hiris wrote:

> Scenario I.
> 1. Scanner attached to /dev/usb1.
> 2. Run xsane, xscanimage and friends under an unprivileged user.
> 3. Don't want to pass the [driver:/device] parameter to your scanner app.
>
> What happens?
>
> The initialization code steps thru the usb devices until it finds a device
> that matches a driver:device in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/.
> If a permission for a /dev/usbx device is missing and no matching device could
> be found, the initialization code calls sane_exit and the program terminates.
> [simply spoken]
>
> So, if our scanner is attached to /dev/usb1 one need to set "proper"
> permissions on /dev/usb0, /dev/usb1 and /dev/uscanner0.
>
> 	crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243, 255 Jun  6 14:10 usb
> 	crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  243,   0 Jun  6 14:10 usb0
> 	crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  243,   1 Jun  6 14:10 usb1
> 	crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243,   2 Jun  6 14:10 usb2
> 	crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243,   3 Jun  6 14:10 usb3
> 	crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  242,   0 Jun 10 19:31 uscanner0

What role does /dev/usb  play in this story?

> In my mind scanner initialization runs faster and more stable, if the device
> stays open (as in scenario I.). You can make startup initialization a little
> faster by removing unneeded drivers from /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf. The
> line 'hp' should suffice.

OK, thanks!

1) I plugged my scanner into /dev/usb0; avoiding the necessity to probe other /dev/usb*.

2) I commented out all entries in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, EXCEPT the hp one.

After this, devices are detected automatically and immediately. Even gimp can use
the plugin to the scanner now.

Woow, thanks so much for all your advice.
Step by step I'm getting closer to a working scanner.

Rob.