Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:54:01 -0500
From:      Dave McKay <dave@mu.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

I believe I wrote in about almost this same exact question a few months
back.  Releasing all of these vulnerabilities in the name of FreeBSD has
problems.  Not all people who read mailing lists have a clue, others don't
really READ the mail they recieve.  Releasing all of these third party
vulnerability alerts when the product is not part of FreeBSD can become
cumbersome to the average joe reading Bugtraq.  He sees all of this and
thinks, I'm not using FreeBSD, it has more bugs then a hippie's hair after
being outside for 3 weeks.

Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org) wrote:
> I've recently added some of my clients to the Bugtraq mailing list, and
> whenever a message goes out with a subject like "FreeBSD Ports Security
> Advisory: <Mumble>," they think it's a security hole in FreeBSD. Of course,
> WE know it's not, but they don't understand what "FreeBSD Ports" means and
> get the wrong idea. Any ideas about how to rephrase the subject lines so
> that people who see these messages will get the right idea without knowing
> what the Ports Collection is? Perhaps if the name "FreeBSD" didn't come first?
>
> --Brett

Dave McKay
Network Engineer - Google Inc.
dave@mu.org - dave@google.com