Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:35:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk, julian@ref.tfs.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/820: scsi tape problems

> > This allowed to me to successfully read the tape (yes, my tape drive
> > really did take >100s to read that block!).
>
> Peter?  Do you remember our discussion about SCSI adaptor timeouts?
>
> We should bring this up again in freebsd-scsi.  I could bury out the
> old mails.

Host adapter timeouts or transaction timeouts?  I have mail on
transaction timeouts and on my "TODO someday soon" list, and I
don't think it applies in this case - we talked about both retrying
"forever" for a "device is in the process of becoming ready" error and to
delay a bit (where "a bit" gets longer between each retry) instead
of doing an immediate retry - I don't think we talked about something
that takes an unexpectedly long amount of time (100s for a read of
a tape block) and that we (think we) can't abort.

This case was a transaction that timed out, and then we tried to
abort it (I'm not sure what the 1542 firmware does when you tell
it to abort a transaction - I don't know if it does a BUS DEVICE
RESET or what, and I don't have a 1542 manual) and we apparently
then decided our host adapter was dead when it couldn't abort that
transaction in four seconds.

So there are two problems here, one general and one 1542 specific:

1. It would be nice to be able to tune the timeouts on a device by
device basis for when you have a device with an unusually long timeout;

2. That "abort transaction" / "host adapter is hosed" branch needs some
fixing.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936