Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:37:26 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem backing up multiple filesystems on tape

Hi list,

I have successfully set up our new department server using 4.3-RELEASE. I
attached our DLT1 tape drive to the system and tried to do a backup.
However i am unable to write and retrieve multiple filesystems to one tape. I
had no problems with that under Solaris, Linux and OpenBSD , but under FreeBSD
things seem to be a bit different.

What i tried was:

root@antsrv1 [~] # mt rewind
root@antsrv1 [~] # dump 0caf /dev/nrsa0 /

   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Sep 26 12:29:25 2001
   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
   DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1a (/) to /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
   DUMP: estimated 49239 tape blocks.
   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
   DUMP: DUMP: 49254 tape blocks on 1 volume
   DUMP: finished in 31 seconds, throughput 1588 KBytes/sec
   DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

root@antsrv1 [~] # dump 0caf /dev/nrsa0 /var

   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Sep 26 12:30:15 2001
   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
   DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1e (/var) to /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
   DUMP: estimated 4495 tape blocks.
   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
   DUMP: DUMP: 4489 tape blocks on 1 volume
   DUMP: finished in 1 seconds, throughput 4489 KBytes/sec
   DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

root@antsrv1 [~] # mt rewind
root@antsrv1 [~] # restore tf /dev/nrsa0 > /dev/null

Level 0 dump of / on antsrv1.comm.uni-bremen.de:/dev/ad0s1a
Label: none

root@antsrv1 [~] # restore tf /dev/nrsa0 > /dev/null

Tape is not a dump tape		<===!

root@antsrv1 [~] #

Why am i unable to retrieve the second dump? I also played with filemarks, but
to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341