Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:36:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        bob@sfcei.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:33:24AM -0500, bob@sfcei.com wrote:
> Just my .02 here. IIRC, Windows seems to max out around 1472 for the MTU,
> otherwise there are lots of collisions on the net. I set the MTU on my FBSD
> box to 1472 and no collisions. This may affect your throughput, if only
> marginally.

Ethernet collisions are not bad. Don't sweat 'em until/if they reach
150% to 200%. A 1500 octet packat takes a while to send. But a"collision"
happens in the first 64, takes very little wire time. Many NICs do not
report these collisions at all. Don't believe I've seen them on 3com
NICs I have used. Rather those NICs report *late* collisions which are
bad, very bad, indicating a protocol implementation error, hardware
failure, or a network which is too long. Yup, the network can get so
big the speed of light is no longer fast enough to meet the ethernet
timing specs.

An analysis I no longer can find the URL for showed a 200% collision
rate on 10 Mbps ethernet resulted in an 8% reduction in network
capacity. So don't sweat the collisions.

In this thread the user has two machines connected point-to-point with
a crossed cable. No way for collisions to occur. There might be some
advantage to turning on full duplex, which I've never seen auto-negotiated
when connected that way, only when connected to a switch which does
something to suggest to the machine that full duplex is available.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)