Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 16:01:31 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to receive mail with mutt?

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:32:20AM -0500, Nick Lozinsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been bugging with this for a while, and still can't get it straight:
> how do I get
> mutt to receive mail directly to it? refreshing or checking the mailbox off
> of my ISP's mail server every few minutes (5-10). I have installed mutt and
> can send and receive mail while on the same box and messaging the users on
> the same box, but can't get my remote mail server's responses.
>
> I've tried to use fetchmail, and it does work, just doesn't stick it into
> the mutt folder, wherever it is; I have not tried using procmail, yet, as I
> can't get the basic mail system to function.
>
> Anyone, if you can clarify the steps of getting mutt to receive mail off of,
> let's say, mai.me.com (a pretend ISP's mail server), I will appreciate it a
> great deal.

Hi,

Mutt is a mail reader.  It does not itself collect or deliver mail.  You
need to use fetchmail to collect mail from your ISP's server, then fetchmail
can pass it to procmail, which in turn can process and filter it as you
wish, and drop messages into a mailbox mutt can read.

You need to tell fetchmail to pass any messages it collects to procmail,
with this statement in your .fetchmailrc:

poll mai.me.com with proto POP3
       user 'you' there with password 'your_pw' is localname here
    mda  /usr/local/bin/procmail

(Make sure you change localname to your local UNIX username for this
to work!)

Procmail will then get called for each message that comes in, and will
be processed accordingly.

HTH,

Dan