Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:33:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Gerry Fontenay (ITG Student -BLT)" <fontenay@zippy.lbl.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello,

on intel:
freebsd is installed on the secondary master ide. the bootmgr seems to be
installed on both drives
(i.e. i get the correct choices for partitions, F1, F2 ,F5 .) However, if
i don't explicitly define
1:wd(2,a)kernel at the boot prompt (after the correct partition selection)
, the boot fails because the
root cannot be mounted. I guess that somewhere in the process the device
for root gets switched to
another partition.  I don;t particlarly wish to force users to explicitly
define the kernel parameters, so
does anyone know how to fix this ? . I looked through the config (-c) and
couldn't find anything
there.

Please mail me directly, Thanks for any assistance.

gerry

fontenay@george.lbl.gov