Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 20:23:33 -0400
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Rocky <rockiiieee@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Windows recommendation

in message <20020524223324.6106.qmail@web21410.mail.yahoo.com>,
wrote Rocky thusly...

> I am a FreeBSD newbie ... trying to transition from Windoze!
> Looking for a good user friendly X Windows which has features
> similar to windows env...

see kde, gnome, and perhaps xfce in /usr/ports/x11-wm.

> I tried kde ... i ran into tonnes of issues with dependencies ...
> looking for some software that i don't have to spend a lifetime
> installing and making it work.

well, forget gnome then too ... that leaves xfce to be tried.

personally, i don't use either of the three; i avoid gnome & kde due
to problems similar to yours in addition to their bloated size.  i
use vim/vi, mutt, fvwm2, & such ... which do not meet your ms
windows like environment requirement.  w/ some effort (on your part)
they can be made user friendly.

come to think of it, you seem a likely candidate for a macintosh!

  - parv