Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 19:31:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time problems

> >>a bit hard to diagnose.  For those machines on which the results are
> >>reasonable, I expect timekeeping to be rather better than it was.
> >>According to xntpd, my machine is within about 3 seconds per day,
> >>which is about the same as it was before.  (It's the precision, rather
> >>than the accuracy, where this technique gives a benefit.)

3/86400 = ~34ppm .. most PCs would be hard-pushed to better that. I'd be
happy if that was the general scale of error :-)

With some manual trimming, I have two (non-pentia) here that are 5ppm and
-6ppm but the average "off-the-shelf" box isn't much better than +/-300ppm.

> Perhaps because of the microtime() jitter that I reported in previous
> mail - if the accuracy is low then the jitter becomes large when adjtime()
> is used to improved the accuracy.  However, I guess xntpd should be
> able to handle large jitter.

The way that the NTP documentation reads, it seems that the PLL is unhappy
beyond the designed capture range of +/-128ppm and that one should adjust
the kernel tick value (with "tickadj -t ...") to bring it to within those
boundaries. In preference, it states that (if you're a "screwdriver
programmer" :-)) you can (and should) adjust your system clock to correct
the offset. Unfortunately, most PCs these days don't seem to have a trimcap
to play with :-(

Note especially that the "dispersion" derived by XNTPD is a measure of how
much jitter it perceives between your clock and the remote reference and
provides a statistical window within which measurements are considered
credible enough upon which to act. If you have any significant traffic on
the link between you and the reference which causes the poll latency to vary
beyond this dispersion value, the local jitter becomes almost irrelevant.

To quantify this, an unloaded 64k ISDN link can incur a 28mS latency. Add
some news to it and, courtesy of the various order-uncertainties in
propagation, that can deviate by as much as 2 seconds. Now add the
uncertainties inherent on the other links that feed into the 64k and ...

Bluntly, NTP over a modem-based connection is statistical guesswork which
you should expect to wander all over the shop as link traffic varies.

	michael