Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:58:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom cards

On 27-Apr-00 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <XFMail.000427081047.dmlb@computer.my.domain> Duncan Barclay
> writes:
>: By the weekend I'll have a 4.0 and a -current box up and running. I've got
>: a Xircom REM56G-100, am familiar with the old if_xe and need to track what
>: you're doing for if_ray (which will start porting RSN) so count me as a
>: tester.
>
> The if_ray stuff will need the ability to set offsets, which I don't
> currently have the code in place to do.  Adding it would be easy.  Is
> the this port that's already running 3.x or a different one?

I will port what's already running under 3.x to -current/NEWCARD, not "port"
from another OS (again). Ho hum.

>: Can you explain how NEWCARD relates to -current and 4-stable (i.e. what
>: should
>: I cvsup to?)
>
> NEWCARD is the port of the NetBSD pccard system, with tweaks from the
> newconfig people, to FreeBSD.  It is in the -current tree and also an
> earlier version is in -stable right now.
>
> For the if_xe stuff, you'll need to build a -current newer than
> tuesday or so when I committed the patches.  I wouldn't try NEWCARD
> for a little while yet.

Okay.

> I'm still getting the kinks worked out of
> it.  Well, you could try it if you wanted to help me get the kinks
> out, you could give it a spin and fix what you find broken.

Fine, it will probably help the overall code if I do this concurrently with
if_ray. As if_ray uses almost everything it can that's not straight PC-Card,
it's probably a good test.

> I'm
> getting close to needing a whole lot of drivers converted, so now
> might be a good time to familiarize yourself with the code.

In best reading between the lines mode I've got the following cards I can
test for you:

        Card                    Interesting

        Webgear Wireless LAN    Messy stuff with memory maps
        Xircom REM56G-100       Mutlifunction modem/ethernet and CIS stuff
        Libretto 50CT Floppy    ?
        Adaptec 1460            ?
        Option 56k Modem        ?
        NE2000 Ethernet Card    ? CIS has "Telecom Device SuperSocket RE450T"

I might be able to get my hands on some WaveLAN cards from an Airport, and
3COM Megehertz modems/ethernet cards (borrowed from work).

Network drivers are all that I'm familiar with though.

> Warner

Duncan

---