Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:07:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, walterhurry@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel Modules Documentation?

	I have a list of about 220 kernel modules and would like to find out what
	they do, or are for (none has a man page). I suspect that many of them
	are drivers for particular devices.

	Is there any resource or documentation available?

	Thanks.

	P.S. Here are the first few:
	ahc_eisa
	ahc_isa
	ahc_pci
	alias_cuseeme

See e.g. ahc(4).
However, what I do is:

makeoptions MODULES_OVERRIDE="geom/geom_part acl_nfs4"

in the kernel config file, or include whichever
modules you use. This way you only build/install
what you actually need. On some boxes I don't
build any modules at all:

makeoptions MODULES_OVERRIDE=""

Also, many drivers I build into the kernel,
because I use them all the time, so the extra
flexibility of modules is not required there.

Anton