Date:      Sat, 17 May 2003 17:30:15 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Trish <failte@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To freeBSD or not freeBSD

In article <10288343621.20030517072452@sentex.net>, Trish
<failte@sentex.net> writes
>  I get the impression there is significant support available, apps and drivers
>are available and configurable
>  and it's not a nightmare to run.  But that's just an impression and
>  I haven't compared it enough with anything else.

I think FreeBSD's support is absolutely top notch.  Firstly it has a
mostly friendly and knowledgeable support group in the users and
developers.  Secondly the resources are a lot easier to find.

Because so much FreeBSD information is contained in simple to find
places such as the handbook, freebsddiary.org or the mailing lists and
their archives I find the answer usually comes much sooner and more
easily than most of my hunts for information about other OSes.

Like most people here I find the BSD way to be one of the more intuitive
systems so I certainly don't feel it's a nightmare to run, and that's
just the basics too.  Once you throw in goodies like the ports system
life is positively blissful, in my opinion at least.

It's probably not without fault though, I just tend to find I don't
notice them because so much simply works so well.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk