Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:56:02 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Steve Barkey <sbarkey@alexin.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing and Ideas

Apparently, On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 03:02:33PM -0500,
	Steve Barkey said words to the effect of;

> Hey Everyone!
>
> I finally got my 20020321 system booted by changing the cdroms and
> unplugging the floppy drive. Who knows why.
>
> Anyway:  I boot up fine, but I can't find instructions anywhere on
> possible yet???

Yes, you just have to do it by hand.  The tip.record in that directory
has a transcript of an install on my u60 but things have changed a little.
Roughly:  label your drive(s) with disklabel -Brw <device> auto, use
disklabel -e <device> to make your filesystems, newfs and mount them
and then untar the tarball.  You also need to make an fstab at least,
and then setup rc.conf etc.

> Also; Jake: I know you have a lot on your mind, but making the /etc load
> on to a RAM drive or symbolically linking files like; /etc/resolv.conf,
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config; /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key* to /var/etc would make the
> system substantially more useable - you could get name resolution
> allowing more daemons to run.  SSHD could generate its
> /var/etc/ssh/*host_key* on boot and you could get in remotely.

The point of having the cd boot mutlti user is to provide a reasonable
evironment to install from, where vi works etc.  Its not meant to be
used as a full system per se.

> Let me know if I can contribute!  Looking forward to the next version!

Well, if you find it hard to install you could always make sysinstall work :)

Jake