Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:54:05 +0100
From:      public profile <ilavsky.martin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9.0; VirtualBox v4.0.14; PF rules when using bridged interface

Hello Guys,

I'm struggling with an issue I can't find answers to nor able to
figure out myself. I found this email address on wiki.freebsd.org,
hopefully somebody can give me some further hints.
I've started a thread on forums too:

To describe the problem:

Setup:
	FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 with virtualbox-ose-4.0.14 installed.
	internet facing interface em0, virtual machine (VM) is using this
interface when bridged network is selected
	both server and VM have public IP address
	active firewall - PF - on host

Goal to achieve:
	Do a traffic accounting for all VMs which have public IP addresses,
something like:

	IP_VM_PUB_1		total bytes in/out
	IP_VM_PUB_2		total bytes in/out
	...			etc

Problem: PF rules for IPs which are active on VM which have bridged
network are being ignored.

Example:

I want to disable port 80 for each and every VM running on host (bridged NW):

Egress iface:	em0
VM virtual IP:	192.0.2.2

pf.conf sample on host:

	block in quick on em0 proto tcp from any to 192.0.2.2 port 80

Does nothing when rules are reloaded. However, I can see this traffic
passed by with tcpdump.

I suspect that vboxnetflt kernel driver might have something to do
with it (bypassing the whole PF).

Please can you confirm this? Is there a way for hosts to do a per IP
filtering for VMs used on bridged network?
Thanks for any hints,

Martin Ilavsky

__
..life is hard, and then you die..