Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:59:55 -0800
From:      Derek Seaman <dseaman@spawar.navy.mil>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   spurious interrupt

System

  Pentium II, w/ Abit LX-6 MB
  Two AHA-2940AU controllers v1.30
  1 external case containing 5 HP 4mm DAT drives
   internal: 1 HD, 1 CD-ROM

Symptoms:

 When all items are connected to ONE card, and the other is completely
empty w/ BIOS enabled, Linux will not boot. It says "spurious interrupt"
and kernel panics. If I turn the BIOS OFF on the empty card, all is well.

 If I connect the external case to the previously empty SCSI card and boot
(with BIOS enabled) and I try to read from the tape drives using DD, I get
'data overrun' errors. If I disable the BIOS the errors go away.

 This happens with stock kernels 2.0.32, 2.0.33, 2.1.87, 2.1.89, and 2.0.33
w/ 5.0.7 AIC drivers.

Any ideas?

Derek L. Seaman, Engineer
SPAWAR System Center, San Diego