Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:14:54 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysutils/diskcheckd needs fixing and a maintainer

Am 18.08.2011 08:20, schrieb Chris Rees:
> On 18 August 2011 09:03,  <perryh@pluto.rain.com> wrote:
>> Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We don't want to provide broken software.
>>
>> Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ... it's obsolete, broken, junk ...
>>
>> Unless there is more to this than is reported in those two PRs,
>> I'd call it a considerable exaggeration to describe diskcheckd
>> as "broken".
>>
>> * http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/115853
>>  is shown as "closed", so presumably is no longer a problem.
>
> Wow, would it have been too difficult to actually READ the closing
> message from Jeremy? I suggest you look again -- I've pasted it here
> so you can see it.
>
> "The problem here is that the code does not do what the manpage says (or
> vice-versa). The 3rd column does not specify frequency of checking, but
> rather, over what duration of time to spread a single disk scan over.
> Thus, 7 days would mean "spread the entire disk check at X rate over the
> course of 7 days". There is still a bug in the code where large disks
> will cause problems resulting in updateproctitle() never getting called,
> and so on, but that's unrelated to this PR. I'm closing the PR because
> trying to fix all of this should really be ben@'s responsibility.
> (Sorry for sounding harsh.)"
>
> How does that indicate it's fixed? It's an 'abandoned' PR.

This would be a case for marking it suspended (or possibly analyzed,
depending on which of these two fits best), rather than closing it.
The status is also a statement...

> Thank you for testing and investigating, this is what the port has
> needed, and two days of being deprecated has achieved more than 18
> months of a PR being open.

So the bottom line for this case is, we sometimes only get sufficient
attention through deprecating ports.  Unfortunately that approach might
wear off some day.  Too bad. :-(

Do we need a "think twice before adding a port" habit?