Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Krebs <schrade@best.com>
To:        "John J. Marco" <john@lutris.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I set up SQUAKE???

On 17 Oct 1997, John J. Marco wrote:

>Thanks for your reply to my query about SQUAKE...  I've managed to
>get xquake and xf86quake running on my system without sound, now.  Xquake
>seems to not handle color palettes too well, though.  It also appears
>that I can't have two X servers at on different virtual consoles,
>due to my keyboard and mouse getting hung..  That sounds like an XFree86
>shortcoming, though...

There is an xquake16 somewhere out there.. I found it once.  It ran quake
in a window on a 16 bit screen.

>As for the sound driver, I could not get the the new guspnp sound driver
>or linux_ioctl code to build on my stock 2.2.2-RELEASE system.  I'm wondering
>if there are some kernel patches I need, or maybe a newer kernel build
>tree...

I tried doing the linux_ioctl thing under FreeBSD 2.2-stable and it never
did compile.  I would really like to get the sound in quake working with
my SB16 PnP card at work.  I'd also to get it working with my SBAWE32 Non
PnP at home, too.

I hear that the new GLQuake for linux will be an X app again and not an
SVGALib app.  It will even utilize the mouse!  Now I just need to find
someone who has successfully gotten the 3DFX Linux GLIDE/Mesa 2.5 working
under FreeBSD 2.2-stable and can let me know what they did to make it
work.  :)

Sure would be nice to be able to play GLQuake under FreeBSD!

P.S.  Has anyone gotten xf86quake to run without crashing when you exit?
If so, how?

*********** NewOrderDepecheModeUltravoxViolentFemmesKillingJoke *************
* Ken     * NineInchNailsFront242TangerineDreamTheBreedersTekno *           *
*   Krebs * SkinnyPuppyLaTourBauhausBookOfLoveModernEnglishB52s *           *
*********** FishBoneBigCountryJoyDivisonSiouxsie&TheBansheesXTC *************
IRC: Schrade	E-Mail: schrade @ best . com	<URL:http://www.schrade.com/>;