Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 06:54:05 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Multimedia List <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Simple two way audio on local network.

Stan Brown:
 |	I have a small network of computers in my house. Among these I have a
 |	FreeBSD 2.2.2 machine downstairs with a GUS PnP, and an HP 735
 |	upstairs. Both of these have quite nice audio, with speakers and cheap
 |	mikes.
 |
 |	I would like to set up to be able to use these as a simple intercom from
 |	upstairs to downstairs.
 |
 |	Could someone point me to the tight tool(s) to set up to accomplish
 |	this?

Check out rplay.  As I recall, it does what you're talking about.
Making it easy to set up a "network intercom".

Randall

rplay is a flexible network audio system that allows sounds to be played to
and from local and remote systems.  The rplay audio server currently
supports SunOS 4.1.X, Solaris 2.X, Linux, SGI IRIX 4 & 5, HP9000/705,
HP9000/710 and now FreeBSD.  The rplay clients and client library should
work on any system that supports Berkeley sockets.  X Windows is not required.

Version 3.2.0beta
-------------------

* Supported systems include SunOS 4.1.X, Solaris 2.x, FreeBSD,  Linux,
  SGI IRIX 4 and IRIX 5, and HP9000/710.

* 8-bit & 16-bit audio input and output.

* All audio sample rates.

* .au, .snd, .aiff, .wav, .voc, .ub, .ul, G.721 4-bit, G.723 3-bit, and
  G.723 5-bit audio files.

* Stereo input and output. (2 channels)

* Sounds can be played at any sample rate.

* Compile rplayd with -DTEST_FLANGE for some fun.

* Flexible audio configuration using the following long-named options:
  --audio-device, --audio-bufsize, --audio-bits, --audio-channels,
  --audio-close, --audio-flush, --audio-format, --audio-match, --audio-port,
  --audio-rate, --audio-sample-rate, and no-audio.
  (See `rplayd --help' for more details)

* HTML documentation.