Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:40:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jamie@itribe.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

> > You don't.  This is the tax God levies on infidels who conform to
> > shitty standards.  The universe has no pity on morons, nor should we.
> > Mankind will never advance if nature does not punish stupidity and
> > reward intelligence.  Now ask me about seatbelt laws.  8-).
>
> So tell us about seatbelt laws Terry.  :-)

When someone isn't wearing a seatbelt, and they get into an accident,
and they die, average human intelligence goes up.  Only an idiot
will not wear a seatbelt, given the Emirical data about their
effectiveness.

When we legislate fines for not wearing a seatbelt, we are saving
only those people who are (1) too stupid to wear seatbelts out of
self protection and (2) too geedy to part with whatever small fine
results (usually, it's a secondary offense, meaning they can only
cite you for it if they stop you for something else, so these people
are the people who get stopped for endangering the public anyway).

In other words, we are rewarding stupidity.  Better to let nature
take its course, and reward intelligence.

Most "public safety" legislation falls into this category.  It's
like imposing a $50 fine on an astronaut who goes out of the capsule
without checking his helmet seals: what's the point?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.