Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:02:34 +1000
From:      "Brian O'Connor. (CF583173) HO 2nd Floor" <boconno6@ford.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does tar do sparse files these days

Hello
     This is not specific to freebsd-stable, but you guys are more than likely
to know the answer.

In the dim dark days of yore(90-91) I was advised not to do full backups using tar.
There were problems with sparse files, and device files etc.

Since then I've used dump or its varients on various implementations of unix
when I've wanted a trust worthy backup. At Ford they use a commercial network
backup product called Netbackup (from veritas) it uses tar format for its
backups, so much so that you can recover a netbackup tape using tar -xvf ....

This suprised the hell out me, has tar format changed in the last few years?
or was mistaken all along?

boc