Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 04:11:28 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, stefan@exis.net, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, jdd@vbc.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exchange vs. Notes

   Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 00:23:19 -0700
   From: "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>

   On the other hand, the places where Exchange shines, are medium sized
   companies to mega corporations, where commercial support is not only
   preferred, but often required.

Commercial support can exist for software in which the users have
the freedom to modify and share the program.  Cygnus Solutions
(http://www.cyclic.com) and Cyclic Software (http://www.cyclic.com)
are examples.

Anyway, in my experience, you get better `support' when you deal with
the people who are hackers because they love hacking than the
support you get that you are promised when you buy a commerical
product.  Commerical support people usually aren't especially
knowlegeable, and they usually just plain don't care.

   And don't believe MS is going to ignore the ISP market forever.  On
   the other hand, what they develop will most likely be significantly
   cheaper than commercial Unix solutions, but will still not be free.

I know some ISPs that think NT is a Good Thing.  In fact, my school
converted its webpages from a Unix system to Notes on NT, and broke
access from lynx in the process.  There's some percieved feature
that was gained in the process, but I can't figure out what it is.

The reality though is that most ISPs know what they're doing,
and so they'll chose something sane: some version of Unix.
Those big corporations are the ones where the clueless management
makes the choices.