Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:34:03 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade used to be fun!!!

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 10:38:39AM -0500, Chris wrote:
> "E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > Not anymore!  Every time I cvsup my ports tree and I see all of those
> > ports that need to be updated my belly aches and that's because
> > portupgrade doesn't work the way it used to work.  It is not fun any
> > more!  Always an issue, either a port conflicts with another port or
> > it fails all together.  I have forgotten the last time I updated my
> > ports without any issues.  Today scrollkeeper is conflicting with
> > rarian, they install files on the same directory.  Go figure.  Those
> > were the days when it used to work.
>
> This is one of the main reasons users are having a serious look at
> Linux distros like Fedora or some Debian-ish  ones.

That's ironic, considering I used Debian because Fedora wasn't stable
enough, and switched to FreeBSD in part because even Debian wasn't stable
enough.

. . . and Debian itself is far more stable than the other "Debian-ish"
distros.

> I have used (and still do) both flavors of the above and I have to tell
> y, updating the installed apps is as easy as apt-get update ot yum
> update/upgrade.

. . . except when they break something.  It's a lot easier to fix broken
software on FreeBSD than with a binary packaged based Linux distribution,
in my (recent) experience.

> I used to love spending my Friday nights updating my FreeBSD ports -
> then, as you are finding out - it's just getting tedious.

I've never found updating the software on a system "fun".  That's part of
the reason I find I prefer FreeBSD: it doesn't break shit as often, and
thus doesn't make it even *more* un-fun.

> I'm not criticizing, simply commenting on my experiences.

Likewise, the above are only my experiences.  I realize they are not
necessarily objectively "true".

Kent Beck: "I always knew that one day Smalltalk would replace Java.  I
just didn't know it would be called Ruby."