Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:27:20 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bugs in gated makefile

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Sun, Dec 14, 1997 at 12:49:12PM -0800, Tom wrote:
>   Of course.  You need to start with an empty work directory to make this
> work.  All kinds of flag files are kept in their indicating build
> progress.

I've never seen anything in a work directory other than a version specific
subdirectory, which is as it should be.  One should be able to upgrade without
losing the old version "just in case" (which is far too often the case).

>   But what is it?  I don't see it here, and I just built gated from
> scratch on 2.2.5-stable system on Friday without any problem.  I suspect
> you have more cruft around that you need to remove.  Perhaps remove
> /usr/ports/net/gated completely, and rebuild.

Aye, and there's the bug: a dependence on something irrelevant that causes
obscure failures.  While I *am* running an old 2.1.5 system, the man source
directory is still in ports/net/gated/work/versiondir/man, and they still
get installed in /usr/local/man/whereever.  Some of us actually use our
systems and can't just blow away the system and reinstall from scratch on
a whim... (which doesn't directly apply in this case, but there's a
principle there I wish more people understood).

--
Alan Batie                   ______      It's not my fault!  It's some guy
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      named "General Protection"!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--