Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:05:25 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Will <will@linuxfreak.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using freebsd within an ext2 partition.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 05:29:34PM +0000, Will wrote:
> Is it possible to run freebsd  and boot it in a single ext2 partition or
> a logical drive in an
> extended, type 05 or type 85 extended partition?  If not, is it possible
> to boot from a floppy,
> and load an ext2 partition as root.  I'm not worried about  stability,
> only convenience.
> The disklabel and slices stuff keeps me from installing multiple copies
> of freebsd along with
> dozens of other operating systems on my machine, for me to play with and
> understand?

If you are going to put any MSDOS-type partitions on a drive, FreeBSD
needs a "real" one, not an extended partition. It can read extended
partitions. It needs a UFS root.

I don't see that as much of a restriction. One real MSDOS partition
can hold a whole FreeBSD install. You _might_ be able to put multiple
FreeBSD's in one slice... can't remember if there are requirements
that root must be an 'a' partition (it is traditional, but is it
necessary).