Date:      Sat, 06 Jun 1998 10:29:38 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>, Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote device multiplexing

I've got a simple session multiplexer gadget that I'm working on, done
completely as a library in Tcl 8.0.  It was inspired by the X-10 daemon
that I'm using, but all in Tcl.

My immediate requirement was to replace the dedicated program that
looks at Caller-ID and call detail records from my small home PBX with
a daemon that distributes these records to various interested parties.
Currently, my pbx program simply installs records into a MySQL database.
What I need to be able to do is have other daemons, such as a Tk
application driving a display on a VGA/NTSC scan converter modulating
channel 16.  This way I can get real-time caller ID stuff to pop up
while the phone is ringing without having to poll the database.

I'm planning on rewriting the X10 daemon to use this Tcl library as
well.  Connecting the RF mouse/remote control to one of these session
mux things as well will be very cool.

As I said, I'm still hacking on it a bit, and it's not quite clean and
not at all documented at the moment.  The interesting thing is that the
Tcl script library can be used to create a server listening on some port;
you can also hand it any open filehandle (like a process on the
end of a pipe, or another TCP connection) to be put into the session
mix.  So you can hook these things together pretty easily.

louie