Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 23:22:10 +0100
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

On Monday, 21 December 2015, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> > Sorry for the delay in the response.
>
> > So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or Skylake
> > support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain initial
> > support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean experimental
> > and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a more
> > robust support for those two GPU families.
>
> > If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing this
> > branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported GPUs. Do
> > you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?
>
> > If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
> > drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
> > don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
> > time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?
>
> > Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron
>
> I have one Sandybridge and one Ivy Bridge computer.
>
> One question, before I proceed/resume and do the wrong thing:
>
> Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from
> drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src branch
> with svn?
>
> I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require modifications
> because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Tom

Jean-Sebastien would know far more on this subject, but for those
considering contributing to this effort, I have heard the goal was that if
any elements of the Linux code to be imported had Linuxisms that don't
exist in FreeBSD, rather than change the Linux files, FreeBSD would add a
shim as separate file(s) to translate those Linuxisms into suitable FreeBSD
replacements.

That way the continual update to newer Linux versions of the code wouldn't
require a large patch set to be maintained - the files would be as close to
the Linux versions as possible.

Sound about right Jean-Sebastien?

Regards,
Ben