Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:35:40 -0400
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        <apache@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>, dev@httpd.apache.org, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, announce@apache.org, FreeBSD Ports Management Team <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>, mod_perl Dev <dev@perl.apache.org>, announce@httpd.apache.org
Subject:   www/apache22 - default APACHE_PORT for 8.3/9.0

All,

apache@ has been working diligently for the last 2yrs to realize
www/apache22 as the default.  Now, we are at last nearing completion. We
look to pull the switch within the next month or so pending our final
-exp run by portmgr@.

I would like to thank everyone that helped to make this happen
especially:
	ohauer@ (Olli Hauer)
	  for stepping up and finishing the last mile!
	portmgr@ (Pav)
	   -exp runs
	clement@ (Clement Laforte)
	   for his long years of previous service

Once www/apache22 becomes the default, we will actively move to
deprecate and remove support for www/apache20 and related ports (they
already have the notices in them). Then www/apache13* (yes, its EOL
upstream, and unsupported by both then and us).

  http://s.apache.org/13eol

Finally, we will look to import www/apache24 which just recently saw its
1st ever BETA release.

If you would like to track our progress here some relevant links:

  o http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/147009
  o http://wiki.freebsd.org/Apache

Some things you should keep in mind as quoted in ports/CHANGES:
20090516:
AUTHOR: pgollucci@FreeBSD.org

  * APACHE_COMPAT is dead!

  * USE_APACHE=yes is dead!

  * WITH_APACHE13, WITH_APACHE2, WITH_APACHE20, and WITH_APACHE22 are
	dead

    You should set USE_APACHE=13|20|22+.  WITH_APACHE option can
    be used to conditionally include support for ANY version of
    Apache based on APACHE_PORT.

Additionally, WITH_MODPERL2 will be replaced WITH_MODPERL.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.