Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 23:03:26 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: really strange ppp problems

> Hi:
>
> A long while back, after a bunch of commits regarding ppp (like requiring
> a password to telnet into ppp), I noticed that things stopped working for
> the most part.  For instance I have a little script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> to start up ppp with -ddial.  Suddenly I couldn't authenticate a
> connection unless I hit ctrl-c during the script to fork it into the
> background, and suddenly _one_ of the dial up numbers I used that had a
> PortHampster ;-) PM3 attached to it connected, authenticated (as long as
> I hit ctrl-c) but the send/recv lights light up like a christmas tree
> until the connection timed out (30+ minutes sometimes), the VP of
> Engineering claims that it's hosting a full load as of my complaint. But
> at least things still redialed correctly. After a few more commits and
> make worlds pap and chap authentication stopped working all together.  I'd
> left my configuration untouched with the exception of adding an "account"
> to /etc/ppp.secrets to allow ppp to actually work and let me telnet in
> when needed.  I've added deny pred1 to my ppp.conf, and looked over
> everything.  My isp requires that I use a WEN4/ or ppp- prefix with my
> login name.  Neither one works.  Now to get connected I have to load ppp
> manually and dial and login by hand, or use a chat script with my
> password out in the open (oh joy). I'd love to get chap/pap working again.
> Any ideas?

You're still in my in tray :-)

I take it you had no luck with the latest version....  The bit I
don't understand is that you said ppp wasn't disassociating from
the terminal.....

Can you post (or send me) your config files... maybe you have
something that's hanging in the default: entry - perhaps a "dial"
command.....?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;