Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:34:03 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Anon <goatse@Phreaker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get more HDD space?

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:14:51PM +0100, Anon wrote:
> I have an 200gb harddrive, it says 180gb (due to different size=20
> standards) but when Mounted I only have 160gb!
> I heard FreeBSD is "taking away" a few % of the HDD, for something...=20
> but how can I disable that on a harddrive?
> /thanks!

When a filesystem is created, 8% of the space is reserved.

You can use the -m parameter to tunefs(8) to reduce this percentage of
reserved space. But doing this will slow down the system. See the tunefs
manual page.=20

If you need more space, better buy an extra harddrive.

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v