Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:18:46 -0000
From:      "Daniel Conlon" <daniel@donhost.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Access statistics for apache

With reference to the subject of apache logs:

I am currently putting a CustomLog directive and also an ErrorLog directive
in each VirtualHost. How many virtual hosts can you have on a FBSD box with
this configuration before you begin to encounter file descriptor problems?
Is it better to pipe all the logging to some process at the other end which
sorts them all out and puts them in the correct place?

Also, what solutions are available to rotate/compress/trim apache log files.
I currently just run a script on the 1st of every month which deletes the
existing logs and starts new ones. It would be nice to be able to trim the
log files so that there is always the last 30 days available in them. Better
still, process the logs on the 1st of every month, save the actual produced
statistics and delete the log. Then be able to access the pre-processed,
saved statistics from previous months, enabling customers to view statistics
from several years back without consuming excessive disk space and processor
time to produce the reports.

Thanks,

Daniel Conlon
Donhost