Date:      Sun, 20 May 2012 08:41:32 -0400
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PORTVERSION=1.0.0b

I seem to remember some discussion on using numeric only, and not alpha
in PORTVERSION string, and would like to address this with maintainer
unless its just my faulty memory mixing up PORTVERSION/REVISION.

only thing I found ~seems~ to indicate using alpha is ok:

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#AEN504>;
portlint -abt doesn't complain, but it is a 'new port' and I don't want
it to start out life with something that will garner larts,pavmail or
other wise generate public flogging once I commit it.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell