Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 08:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@Grizzly.COM>
To:        proff@suburbia.net, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: rsync

>> I whole-heartedly support the GPL philosophy. Even though it has gone
>> out of vouge. New information is built on and from existing information.
>> The speed that information evolves in complexity and function is
>> directly related how available it is. Retardation of information flows
>> decreases the efficiency and efficacity of human knowledge.
>
>Uh, I sense an impending GPL debate and I think that it would be most
>unwise to do so in the -hackers mailing list; we have more than enough
>traffic as it is. :-(

Paul Mackerras is a very smart and reasonable guy.  Other software he
created and made public available was under a BSD style copyright
(Tk photo widget).  Perhaps the best approach is to present a reasoned
argument about why this software should be available under a difference
copyright directly to the authors?

Mark