Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 19:11:44 -0700
From:      Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw@home.com>
To:        lart@mfn.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA66 troubles under 4.0R vs 3.4

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wednesday,  6 September 2000 at 20:35:08 -0500, graphics wrote:
> >     After seeing uncountable sudden "drive deaths" on *brand new*
> > drives, we did a little digging (thank god for the archives!) and
> > have noted the many similar tales of woe...
>
> "similar" doesn't mean "the same".  What do you mean by "drive
> deaths"?  If the drive has really failed, it's very unlikely to be
> connected to FreeBSD.
>
> > Now, since 3.4 reportedly does not suffer from these troubles, we
> > are going to go back down to 3.4, however, we would like the
> > transition to be as painless as humanly possible, so: Can we simply
> > do an overlay of 3.4 onto a 4.0 system?
>
> No.
>
> > Also, is it known whether 4.1 has fixed the 4.0 ATA66 problems?  How
> > about 5-stable?
>
> Nobody knows if you don't know.  How do you expect us to know what the
> problem is?

I think this is an unhelpful answer.  I ran into the same problem
upgrading from 3.1 to 4.1r.  I noticed that dmesg claimed that the cable
was not DMA66 compliant (it was).  After some research, I DID see a lot
of similar complaints (drive dies) with one common thread: they were
Quantum drives.  Mine was a Quantum Fireball.  Brand new.  I went out
and bought a Maxtor, and reinstalled FreeBSD.  No problems.
Interestingly enough, I still have the Quantum in the machine, but it's
now the secondary master.

> If you're running into a real problem with the new ata driver, you can
> build a kernel with the wd driver instead.  That's a lot less work
> than reinstalling the system.  But I can't decide whether that's the
> case until I see some evidence.

Obviously, building the kernel with the wd driver would be cheaper than
buying a new drive...