Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 11:02:50 -0400
From:      Michael W.Holdeman <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kernel compile fails 4.5R

I have installed 4.5 on my IBM TP and had 0 problems, recompiled several
kernels using the old method, with 0 problems.
I recently began building a file server to replace one running SuSE. Install
goes well, no problems, all my fules copied well, no problems. Have been
running the server for 10 days with 0 problems. Now I attempt to build a
cuystom kernel, just to isolate th eprocessor (PP200) and get rid of stuff
like SCSI and PCMCIA that I don't need.
I cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
cp GENERIC /root/kernels/GIZMO
ln -s /root/kernels/GIZMO GIZMO
vi GIZMO (make my changes)
/usr/sbin/config GIZMO
cd ..
cd ..
cd ./compile/GIZMO
make depend (completes error free about 70% of the time, others out error
code 1)
(if make depend goes I will continue)
make ( always fails, different messages EACH time. Sometimes talkling about
white spaces in files?, other times talking about invalid pipes, or kernel
panics?)

Any ideas would be helpfull.

ps I have never run a buildworld, or install world, I'm not sure I'm clear on
what these are for..

Mike