Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:07:20 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        mcdougall@ameritech.net
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sb32 troubles

Adam McDougall:
 |Hello, I am hoping one (or more :)  or the sound geniouses could help me

Whoops.  I don't qualify, but I'll try anyway. :-)

 |with a problem I am having with my sb32 card in -current.  Almost all
 |parts of it are detected, but not sbxvi0(sp), thus I get no digital

Without sbxvi0, you should get 8-bit audio only I believe (sb0 takes care
of it).  Try catting a .au file to /dev/audio.

 |audio.  And I am unsure if the midi component is working since playmidi
 |doesnt want to compile for me.  I am pretty sure it is not the card's

Once you get past the PnP issues, pull the AWE driver, and the "awesfx" and
"awemidi" ports from http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv.  MIDIs will be
_loads_ better than anything SB FM or OPL can get you.  Let me know if you
need any help.

 |fault since it works fine in other machines under NT and 2.2.5-release,
 |and I have tried other same model cards in my -current machine, but
 |still no luck. heres the lines from my kernel conf file:
 |
 |controller      snd0
 |device          sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
 |options         SBC_IRQ=5
 |device          sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
 |device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x300
 |device          opl0 at isa? port 0x388 conflicts
 |controller      pnp0
 |(adding the pnp0 didnt help but made the kernel realize a pnp card was
 |present)

See http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/awepnp-freebsd.txt for Conrad's tips
on getting PnP set up for AWE32/64 & SB32 cards.

The "0x300" should be "0x330" above.  Also, I'd suggest commenting out the
SBC_IRQ line.  I'm a little puzzled at the conflicts on the OPL line as
well.

Barring PnP, looks like we have the same H/W config.  So try this (my config):

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
# Yamaha OPL-2/OPL-3 FM - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

Of course, add in the necessary PnP lines for your card.

Randall