Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher G Mann <r3cgm@cdrom.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org, jfieber@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Walnut Creek CDROM has a new look!

> > Just 'cause I think they've done a neat job of it, I'd suggest that
> > anyone who's seen WC's web pages in the past have a look again
> > at http://www.cdrom.com.  I'm pretty impressed, myself, and the nicer
> > look can't help but sell more FreeBSD CDs. :)
>
> Let's see, the graphics are nice, and it's easy to get around.

Huh huh... das me!  :)

> What's missing is 'Whois WC' stuff, staff, job openings, etc...  I find
> them a nice touch that gives a 'human' feel to the company.

OK, I will systematically code scripts to automate generation of Walnut Creek
CDROM staff pages, giving the pages a warm and wholesome "family" atmosphere.
8-)

Seriously though, I'll see if I can get some pickies of people at the company.
"Here's Jordan... click on the picture of his cat to see a LIVE VIDEO FEED
from his Quickcam at home".

> Also, there's no obvious way to see that WC is 'Powered by FreeBSD',
> which would be nice, plus the pointer to the hardware might be good, but
> maybe that's more relevant to ftp.cdrom.com.

Where is the suggested place to put this?

> Also, FreeBSD is now a 2nd class citizen to Linux.  Any chance of doing
> columns so that folks don't have to scroll down just to see the FreeBSD
> stuff?

Columns would create an inconsistent look with the other categories of CDROMs.

Another alternative also creates a confusing look:

  Linux
  FreeBSD
  Linux Complete Reference
  Installing and Running FreeBSD
  Linux Toolkit
  FreeBSD Snapshot

The ordering _does_ give equal priority to both Linux and FreeBSD though.  :)

--
Christopher G. Mann (Snowman) - r3cgm@cdrom.com
Hornet Archive Maintainer - (ftp|www).cdrom.com/pub/demos