Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:50:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Feldman <protozoa@ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us>
Cc:        Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No-passwd account and reboot records

If you're using sshd for user login, you'll need to change:

  PermitEmptyPasswords no

  PermitEmptyPasswords yes

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and restart sshd.  My suspicion is that this is
an inconsistent choice across various login methods, and that the default
should be "yes", even thought that allows people to shoot themselves more
easily.