Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:00:48 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New PnP code does not work for me(?)

Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
> Thanks for replay, but what I am to do? At least, where to start looking?
> Card is revognized, so this indeed shouldn't be PnP fault.
> Card's 16 bit, but so far the only acceptable sound give esd or mpg123.

The person to talk to is Cameron Grant <cg@freebsd.org> for actual driver
problems.  Beware though, he's in the middle of a house move right at this
second.

It sounds like there's a problem with 8->16 bit sound conversion of mpg123
works but .au files don't.  I know Cameron's got a few tweaks/fixes in the
pipeline there somewhere.

> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
> > > Hello, here's an output for my Yamaha OPL-SA2 card (it used to work
> > > perfectly all right as css device & friends  under old Pnp & VoxWare, but
> > > now outputs very poor sound through /dev/dsp and no sound at all when
> > > playing audio CD, and of course no midi):
> <snip>
> >
> > I have one of these cards BTW.  My recollection was that it ran
> > beautifully..  I did have a more than my fair share of trouble with the
> > sample converters earlier on though..  newpcm will generate 8-bit and 16 bi
> > samples on the fly to best fit the sound hardware.  For example, if you hav
> > an 8-bit card and play 16 bit samples, it'll down convert.  (there was a
> > nasty bug there though for a while. :-) )
> >
> > I didn't have a cable to connect it to a CD though.
> >
> > Poor sound usually isn't a pnp issue though, it's more likely a pcm driver
> > problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Peter
> > --