Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:43:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <nitebirdz@coimbra.oss.uswest.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        theoea@pacbell.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re using a 486

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Doug Young wrote:

> Who needs X on  a gateway box ??

As far as I remember, he said this would be an "Internet appliance" which
is not the same as a gateway... unless he did not express himself
correctly.  An "Internet appliance" is a box that provides you access to
the Internet so you can browse, send and receive email, and nothing
else.  In other words, it doesn't include any other application such as a
word processor, graphics editors, etc.

If all he needs is to set up a router, proxy, gateway, etc.  then even a
386 would do.  Hed may even consider picoBSD then (I believe that is the
name of the FreeBSD for embedded devices).

--
Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org