Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 23:12:17 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: New OPTIONS and make.conf knobs

from Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>:

> My understanding is that one of the benefits of the new OPTIONS
> framework is that it's supposed to take make.conf knobs into account
> when displaying the options dialog.

> I have WITHOUT_NLS defined in make.conf, but when I started an upgrade
> today for x11-toolkits/libxfce4gui the dialog came up with all options
> chosen (DOCS, NLS, STARTUP) even though I have the make.conf knob, and
> the following in the existing options file:

> _OPTIONS_READ=libxfce4gui-4.8.1
> WITHOUT_NLS=true
> WITH_STARTUP=true
> WITH_GLADEUI=true
> WITHOUT_APIDOCS=true

> The fact that the STARTUP option is still enabled is fine, although I
> suspect it's probably a side effect. The fact that the other 2 options
> are showing as enabled is a bug. In the case of NLS, it's likely at
> least 2 different bugs.

> FWIW, this showed up using portmaster, which runs 'make
> config-conditional' by default.

> Doug

I just an hour ago ran "portsnap fetch update" to see what new would show in UPDATING file.

I too have questions about how to use the new OPTIONS framework.

Could you run as BATCH?

NetBSD pkgsrc, ported to other mostly (quasi-)Unix OSes in addition to NetBSD, reads options in mk.conf, usually in directory /etc ,

There are no FreeBSD-ports-style dialogs with pkgsrc.

I have used pkgsrc only with NetBSD.

I would like to know how to get a log with a portmaster upgrade, such as

portmaster -r png-
(why the hyphen at the end?)

without the log getting messed up by an OPTIONS dialog if I use tee or script.

If I specify in /etc/portmaster.conf, PM_LOG=/var/tmp/portmaster.log (for instance), would every run of portmaster log everything I see racing by on the screen to this file?  If so, I might want to move/rename this file after each portmaster run so I can see which log goes with which ports.

I've run "man portmaster" repeatedly each time looking for something I might have previously missed.

I also looked at the Porter's Handbook online.

Tom